This project attempts to visually show all the draft picks for a particular team from 1960 - 2012.
The invidiual chart shows all the picks(players) grouped by year, color coded by round. This can be further filtered by a particular round or a particular position.
The heatmap chart shows how individual positions drafted for compare to each other, as displayed by intensity of the color, over a given range of years. This can be filtered by a particular decade or any starting and ending years using the year slider.
Since NFL and specifically NFL positions have evolved over the years, positions of previous generations are mapped to ones in modern game to make the comparison consistent. Also drafts earlier than 1960 are ignored for the same reason. Following are those position conversions done for drafts 1960 onwards:
- HB(Half Back) -> RB(Running Back)
- B(Back) -> RB(Running Back)
- DL(Defensive Lineman) -> DT(Defensive Tackle)
- NT(Nose Tackle) -> DT(Defensive Tackle)
- OL(Offensive Line) -> T(Tackle)
- ILB(Inside Linebacker) -> LB(Linebacker)
- OLB(Outside Linebacker) -> LB(Linebacker)
- SS(Strong Safety) -> FS(Free Safety)
- E -> WR(Wide Receiver)
Data Source & Credits:
Data Source: Pro-Football-reference.com
Built with: D3.js
This project is for educational purposes, I do not own the NFL or its affiliated teams or logos. Teams and Logos are copyright of the NFL
Author: Nanda Yadav